
On Tuesday, Malta’s health ministry said that 65 migrants in a group of 94 people tested positive for COVID-19, who had been saved at sea and taken to Malta on Monday.
The Ministry of Health said 85 of the migrants had been checked so far, with nine pending for examination. They did not provide any more details about their condition.
The Ministry said in a statement:
“Migrants arriving by boat are immediately quarantined for 14 days and tested. The migrants who are positive will continue to be isolated and the rest will remain in quarantine and followed up,”
“This group arrived in Malta together and were in contact with very few other people before they were tested,” it added, playing down the likelihood of locals getting infected.
A distress signal had been issued by the migrants from the dinghy on Sunday, although it took 30 hours for rescuers to save them.