
On Wednesday, health authorities announced that more than 40 percent of the latest coronavirus infections in South Korea are people older than 60, driving a spike in the numbers of those who are critically ill.
Previously on Tuesday, 267 new coronavirus infections were reported, a slight rise from the day before.
Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip told a briefing:
“The number in critical condition is steadily increasing,”
“We have 40 percent which are above the age of 60,”
The health ministry said that the surge in infections over the past three weeks has greatly affected medical facilities, leaving fewer than 3 percent of hospital beds in greater Seoul available for critical cases, down from 22 percent 10 days ago.
Kim also said that the government is struggling to get hospital beds, and fear that the number of critically ill patients will increase, leading to a need for more beds. Additionally, Kim noted that only social distancing initiatives could reduce the spread of the virus and advised people to cancel trips and stay at home.