
On Friday, Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack announced that visitors from New Zealand would be allowed to enter the country within the coming weeks without having to quarantine for two weeks.
Previously on March 19, Australia closed its borders to all non-citizens and non-residents.
From Oct. 16, McCormack said residents of New Zealand would be able to travel to New South Wales and the Northern Territory.
Individuals will not have to undertake a 14-day quarantine, which is compulsory for all Australians returning from other countries.
McCormack told reporters:
“This is the first stage in what we hope to see as a trans-Tasman bubble between the two countries, not just that state and that territory,”
“This will allow New Zealanders and other residents in New Zealand who have not been in an area designated as a COVID-19 hotspot in New Zealand in the preceding 14 days to travel quarantine-free.”
New Zealanders returning from Australia may still have to quarantine on their return.