
On Tuesday, a spokeswoman for Downing Street announced that Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s trip to India later this month had been canceled.
Johnson said that he would stay in the country to focus on the domestic response to the virus.
In a statement, a spokeswoman for Downing Street said:
“The prime minister spoke to Prime Minister Modi this morning, to express his regret that he will be unable to visit India later this month as planned.”
“In light of the national lockdown announced last night, and the speed at which the new coronavirus variant is spreading, the prime minister said that it was important for him to remain in the UK so he can focus on the domestic response to the virus.”
Johnson was set to visit India to discuss bilateral agreement after leaving the European Union.